The holidays are in full swing and this usually means that A) you will host dinner guests, B) friends and family will have you over for dinner, or C) a combination of both A) and B). Whether you're hosting or dining as guests, I have a simple, no-bake recipe for a super delicious dessert that will have your friends and relatives begging for more. I like to call it the Cool Whip Pudding With Chocolate Wafers Layer Cake. And you think the name is a mouthful?
- 1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 2 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
- 1 package of Mr. Christie's Chocolate Wafers
- dark or milk chocolate for shaving
- Prepare the vanilla pudding as per the directions by beating the pudding mix and milk with whisk for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in about 2 cups thawed Cool Whip. I used about two thirds of a 1L tub.
- In a large deep pan or dish, begin with a layer of the whipped cream pudding mixture followed by a layer of chocolate wafers. Repeat by adding two more layers.
- Finish with a smooth layer of the pudding mixture and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours. Best prepared the night before.
The ratio of pudding to whipped cream doesn't need to be exact. Simply adjust according to your preference. You could even substitute with lite whipped cream to cut back on calories. Or add fruit for a less guilty pleasure. If you prepare this layer cake the night before, the chocolate wafers will absorb more of the pudding mixture for a melt-in-your-mouth texture that I just love. My mother often makes this for special occasions and I always eat a little bit less at mealtime to reserve enough room for dessert. I made it a couple of months ago when it was my turn for treat day at work. Let's just say there wasn't any left over to take back home with me.