Healthy Options for School LunchesFriday, September 25, 2015
Looking to try something different in your kids' lunches? Here we round up some new products we recently tried. First up is Li'l Oliver, an all natural snack that is free of sugar, peanuts and cholesterol. Made by Sardo Foods, Li’l Oliver comes in two pre-packed varieties: pitted green (my kids' favourite) and black olives. They contain no artificial flavours or colours, gluten or trans fats, making it an excellent alternative to sweet and salty snacks. Each snack cup of Li’l Oliver olives has only 20 calories and two grams of fat. Bonus: Specially-marked boxes include free motivational stickers!
- The olive is technically a fruit.
- About eight olives, roughly one pack of Li’L Oliver is equal to half a serving of fruit, which can count towards the Canada Food Guide recommendation of up to six servings of fruits and vegetables a day for children under 13.
- Eating olives boosts your iron intake, which plays a key role in keeping you healthy and happy.
- Olives are high in oleic acid, which studies have shown reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Olives are rich in phytonutrients, bringing added benefits for our cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, muscle, immune, inflammatory and digestive systems.
- Oleuropein, found exclusively in olives, is an antioxidant nutrient that has shown to decrease LDL cholesterol and protect nerve cells.
Jax coco has recently released a healthier alternatives for kids with jax coco Kidz, a line of 100% pure coconut water straight from the nut and fruit puree or pure cocoa. It contains no artificial flavors or colours and nothing is from concentrate. We were able to sample three flavours: chocolate, banana, and grape. My kids' favourite? Chocolate, of course! Sweetened naturally, it has up to 70% less sugar than juice, and is packed with essential electrolytes including magnesium, potassium and calcium. Mom of five and co-founder Jane Gottschalk created Jax Kidz to provide a healthier alternative to sugary drinks for kids around the world and the line is loved by many celeb parents including Elton John, Jamie Oliver and Elizabeth Hurley. Jax coc Kidz is available on Well.ca for $5.99 for a package of six, and currently the banana and grape flavours are on sale for $4.
Pereg Quinoa with Vegetables, a delicious blend of pre-washed quinoa mixed with spices and herbs, contains hand-picked carrots from Italy, crunchy red bell peppers, and hearty potatoes to create. It's a mix that is easy to prepare, and I mean EASY, taking only 20 minutes. You can cook it on the stove top or microwave and is a refreshing side dish that my kids really loved. Pereg Quinoa is all natural, gluten-free, non-GMO verified, and Kosher. One box makes 4 servings. You can find additional varieties of Pereg Quinoa on Well.ca for $5.49 a box, currently on sale for $4.94.
Disclosure: I received product to help facilitate this review. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own.