Summer Reading With The Kobo Arc 7HDFriday, June 20, 2014
Tomorrow is the first day of summer and, for teachers like me, it is a welcome reminder that summer vacation is just around the corner. For the next two months, I'm taking the kids out of daycare to spend some quality time together, whether it be a day at the amusement park, a trip to the zoo, an overnight stay with the grandparents or just sitting down as a family on a rainy day reading our favourite books. And this summer, we will get to enjoy some new summer reads, e-book style, thanks to our new Kobo Arc 7HD.
Weighing in at a mere three quarters of a pound, the Kobo Arc 7HD is an ideal solution for those looking to buy an HD tablet for reading books, magazines and even comics. The 7-inch HD+ screen delivers beautiful 323 ppi quality and is easily customized for optimal reading or viewing enjoyment. It also comes with a built-in 1.3 MP HD camera as well as a 1.7GHz quad-core processor to accommodate your game-playing, movie-watching or web-browsing needs. You can even read your favourite blog, too. (Ahem!)
Apps for Android
The Kobo Arc 7HD is powered by the fully customizable Android 4.2 Jellybean and comes pre-loaded with a large selection of popular apps such as Gmail, YouTube, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, and Skype. It also comes with the following useful apps:
- Feedly: A new way to browse the content of your favourite news sites, RSS feeds, tumblr blogs and YouTube channels.
- McAffee Mobile Security: Protects your Android tablet with award-winning antivirus, privacy and security software.
- Rdio: Get unlimited access to incredible music, create playlists, discover new artists, and share your favourite jams with friends.
- 7Digital: Search over 20 million songs and discover your next favourite tune wherever and whenever you want.
- Officesuite Viewer: The world's number 1 mobile office is a universal document viewer that allows you to open, print, and share any file format you want anywhere you want.
- PressReader™: Read over 2,000 full newspapers from over 95 countries, including every article, ad, crossword, and cartoons in this fully interactive app.
- Pocket: When you find something on the web that you want to view later, put it in Pocket.
- WildTangent: Get instant access to hundreds of games with the WildTangent Games app.
And, if you're an avid Netflix viewer like myself, you'll be delighted to know that you can download the Netflix Android app as well.
Borrow Library Books
For those of you who have a membership with the Toronto Public Library, you'll be delighted to know that you can easily borrow digital books for free right from the Kobo Arc. Simply open the Google Play app and search for the Overdrive Media Console app, download it and install it. If you don't already have one, you will need to create an Adobe ID and then enter your Adobe ID and password. Select the Menu icon. Select "Get Books" then "Add a Library". Search for "Toronto Public Library". Once you have found a book you'd like to borrow, you will be prompted to enter your Toronto Public Library card number and PIN (the last 4 digits of your phone number). eBooks and eAudiobooks can be borrowed for 7, 14, or 21 days (the default setting). They will automatically expire at the end of the lending period but can be returned early.
Unique to Kobo, Kobo Reading Life™ is an exclusive, enriched reading experience designed to enrich your eBook, magazine, and multimedia experience. It's an easy way to read, discover your next great title, collect and organize your eBooks and articles, and share what you're reading with others. I'm currently reading the first in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and I am really looking forward to the premiere of the TV adaptation this August. I did notice her new book Written in My Own Heart's Blood is currently listed on the Kobo New Release, along with a number of other great books such as international bestseller Robert Galbraith's The Silkworm. Check out these and other titles on Kobo's Summer Reading List and if you have any additional recommendations for me, please share. I've been bitten by the reading bug!
Disclosure: I received product to help facilitate this review. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own.