Back to School with DreamBox Learning K-3 Math - Review with GiveawaySaturday, August 28, 2010
This contest is now closed.
Do you ever struggle trying to find a way to get your little ones excited about math? Are you looking to supplement their learning in a way that is fun and engaging? Getting your child interested in playing interactive games on the computer is easy and now, so is getting them exited about learning math thanks to DreamBox Learning.
DreamBox Learning offers an online gaming experience for your kids that provides an effective means of learning math while having fun. It is interactive and individualized based on your child's level of ability. It's "serious learning that is seriously fun!" Here is a summary of why it's learning and fun all rolled in to one adapted from DreamBox.com:
It’s serious learning because:
- DreamBox individualizes learning through continuous assessment and adaptations during lesson game play.
- It’s a robust math curriculum, with over 500 lessons built on the math learning Focal Points from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- It builds understanding and confidence in math fundamentals being taught in the classroom, through in-depth focus on Number Sense and Computation, and Algebra.
- To improve conceptual understanding, students use virtual manipulatives to “show their work” rather than just clicking on an answer.
- DreamBox has online Teacher and Parent dashboards that report on each student’s progress in real time.
It’s seriously fun because:
- Kids choose from 4 adventure themes (pirates, pixies, dinosaurs, and pets), each with 8 stories, and hundreds of choices for activities in the online adventures.
- DreamBox makes math lessons fun and interactive, so kids build confidence and a sense of accomplishment!
- Kids can choose from 36 characters to represent themselves on screen.
- Positive audio and visual feedback encourages progress.
- Kids get rewards such as collectible Adventure Friends, tokens to play Carnival games, and Achievement Certificate awards that can be printed out and proudly displayed.
My 5-year-old daughter has been playing it over the past week or so and you can tell she loves it because it's the first thing she wants to do when she wakes up. I even have to cutback on the length of time during her sessions because she would play it for hours if I let her. (A mere 15 minutes each day is long enough to reinforce math skills while maintaining interest.) It took her a while to understand some concepts and how to complete the activities but I helped her through it and now she is proud whenever she achieves a reward. What I really love about it is the way it covers the math curriculum and keeps track of your child's progress. The visual representation of numbers is a very useful way to explore the abstract concepts of numbers and math. The addition of story lines within the game peak my daughter's interest in exploring and appeals to the Dora in her. As a teacher, I am super excited about continuing to work with my daughter as she plays, learns and explores math concepts on DreamBox Learning. I have created a little vlog to illustrate some of the features including the easily navigable map, a game in play, the built-in reward system and the useful Parent Dashboard with handy resources.
DreamBox Learning has won several awards including the National Parenting Center Seal of Approval, the Parents' Choice Gold Award, and the Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice for Excellence in Design award.
DreamBox.com for 6 months for $59.95 (that's 23% off the full price!) or you can always sign up for a free trial for home. Or, if you are teacher, you can specify it is for a school-based trial. And when you refer a friend, both you and your friend will get an extra month added when they subscribe.
For your main entry, which is mandatory, read what makes DreamBox.com more effective and fun and tell me what you feel is an important feature. Leave a comment on this post along with a way to contact you if you win.
For additional entries, you may choose to do any or all of the following:
- Add my blog button to your site. Copy code is located on the right sidebar. (Worth 2 entries. Please leave two separate comments.)
- Become a follower of DreamBox on Twitter.
- Become a fan of DreamBox on Facebook.
- Become a follower of Toronto Teacher Mom using Google Friend Connect.
- Become a fan of the new Toronto Teacher Mom Facebook fan page.
- Become a follower of Toronto Teacher Mom on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. Tweet daily for additional entries. Feel free to use the following tweet:
Win a 1-year subscription for DreamBox Learning K-3 Math @DreamBox_Learn
Contest ends September 10 at 11pm EST. Open to Canadian residents only. Winner will be selected using Random.org and must reply to the notification email within 3 days or a new winner will be drawn.
Disclosure: I received an extended trial of DreamBox Learning for the purpose of this review.I was not compensated in any other way. The thoughts and views expressed in this review are strictly my own honest opinions.